The AKUAANA-JRM Scholarship Fund is the result of a collaboration between AKUAANA and JRM (Jamshed-Rahim-Mannan) Foundation for Humanity, an Idaho based non-profit started by two AKU alumni, Dr. Fahim Rahim, ’97 and Dr. Naeem Rahim, ’98. This fund was created to provide financial relief for medical students pursuing electives in North America and is available to all AKUMC medical students meeting the following criteria:
- The student must be eligible for, and receiving, financial assistance at AKUMC
- The student must have priorly completed a four-week elective in an ‘underserved’ location, defined as:
- any government/civil hospital in Pakistan
- any AKU or non-AKU Katchi Abadi clinic
- any AKU or non-AKU rural area clinic/hospital in Pakistan including Gilgit/Baltistan and Azad Kashmir
- any experience that focuses on working with the lower socioeconomic population in a private hospital
Students who meet the above criteria can apply for assistance in the amount of $2,500 to be used to defray costs of electives in the US. A total of two scholarships will be awarded every year. This assistance is contingent upon acceptance to an approved elective and approval of visa to North America for the purpose of these electives. In order to receive the scholarship funds, the students will have to be a ‘student member’ of AKUAANA, which can be done after they have been selected.
A sample of the online application can be viewed here. Please note that only submissions made via the online application portal for the AKUAANA-JRM Scholarship will be accepted.
For queries, please feel free to contact AKUAANA Secretary Dr Noor Afshan, ’96 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications for the year 2019-20 were invited from August 1st till September 2nd, 2019, and are now closed. Thank you for your interest.