The AKUAANA-JRM Scholarship Fund is the result of a collaboration between AKUAANA and JRM (Jamshed-Rahim-Mannan) Foundation for Humanity, an Idaho based non-profit started by two AKU alumni, Dr. Fahim Rahim, ’97 and Dr. Naeem Rahim, ’98. This fund was created to provide financial relief for medical students pursuing electives in North America and is available to all AKUMC medical students meeting the following criteria:
- The student must be eligible for, and receiving, financial assistance at AKUMC
- The student must have priorly completed a four-week elective in an ‘underserved’ location, defined as:
- any government/civil hospital in Pakistan
- any AKU or non-AKU Katchi Abadi clinic
- any AKU or non-AKU rural area clinic/hospital in Pakistan including Gilgit/Baltistan and Azad Kashmir
- any experience that focuses on working with the lower socioeconomic population in a private hospital
Students who have been accepted for their final year electives at a North American site approved by the AKU Electives Office can apply for assistance in the amount of $2,500 to be used to defray costs of travel and lodging. A total of two scholarships will be awarded every year. The assistance is contingent upon approval of visa to North America for the purpose of these electives.
We are now seeking applications from AKUMC students interested in availing this opportunity. Please email Dr. Noor Afshan Khan, ’96, at email@example.com if you would like to apply. The deadline for receiving applications from interested Class of 2019 AKUMC students is October 21st, 2018.